Wrangler/Guide Positions: This position has been filled for the 2013 season.
Red Horse Mountain Ranch operates on over 300,000 acres of the Idaho Panhandle National Forest and is an Adventure Vacation Destination in Harrison, Idaho. Wranglers are responsible for maintaining the health and condition of the horses and other livestock and for maintaining the safe, functional and clean condition of the barn facilities and outdoor recreation equipment/facilities. Guide/Wranglers lead trail rides AND provide instruction for riders of all riding abilities and ages. In ADDITION, Wrangler staff will also be guiding other ranch activities to include sporting clays, helping the Kids’ Program, mountain bike tours, challenge course & high ropes course, fishing, hiking, and other guest activities. The ranch has nearly 90 horses to care for and horseback rides are continually leaving for scenic vistas, mountain trails, the valley floor, and full day rides. You’ll have the opportunity during your summer to operate ranch equipment, vet and care for the herd, lead rides, help out with general ranch work, maintain facilities and grounds, and take part in other guided activities at the ranch. Guide/Wrangler positions are available from May through August, September, and October. This position is being offered with housing (a dorm room with roommate and common area) and meals.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leading horseback rides in the Idaho Panhandle National Forest
- Care and Maintain the herd of horses (vetting, feeding, grooming)
- Teach basic horsemanship and aid our guests in developing their horseback riding skills
- Maintain the tack barn, corrals, trails, and other facilities
- Participate in evening guest/employee activities such as concerts, campfires, cookouts, etc.
- Take part in other guided activities on the ranch including sporting clays, mountain biking, challenge course and high ropes course, fishing, hiking, archery, and kayaking
- Hep to maintain trails, pastures, and fences and participate in other ranch chores
- Experience is necessary and Guide/Wrangler positions will be trained on these activities.
To apply, applicants should be able to meet the requirements below:
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be physically fit and capable of all Guide/Wrangler activities
- Must be a US Citizen or possess a current and appropriate working visa
- Must have skills in Western riding and horsemanship AND experience in working with a herd. Past guide or horseback leading is preferred. Past experience in giving horseback instruction is also preferred.
- Must Ability to lift 75 pounds multiple times and work long hours
- Must Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record.
- Must be willing to wear proper western attire during rides to include a cowboy hat, boots, western long sleeve shirt and be presentable in a good western image in dress and behavior.
- Must be able to show strong safety for riders and horses
- Must be able to pass our First Aid / CPR certification course.
- Must be able to communicate with tact and clarity, exhibit a patient and knowledgeable attitude with horses, animals, dogs, children and our guests.
- All seasonal staff are expected to live on the ranch, as all staff are responsible for fire protection and guest safety twenty four hours a day.
Salary plus room and board.
How To Apply:
We will begin processing applications on February 1st, 2011 and continue until all open positions have been filled. It is recommended to get your application in prior to this date. If all positions have been filled, that information will be posted at the top of this page. Please make sure you have completed ALL STEPS. If you are sending in a resume, you also need to complete any other information which is required on the application form.
Fill out the Online Employment Application :
contact: Cory Inouye, Red Horse Mountain Ranch
fax: (208) 689-9686