THIS POSITION IS AVAILABLE FOR THE 2014 SUMMER SEASON. PLEASE APPLY BETWEEN NOVEMBER 1ST, 2013 AND MAY 1ST, 2014.
Red Horse Mountain Ranch operates on over 300,000 acres of the Idaho Panhandle National Forest and is an Adventure Vacation Destination in Harrison, Idaho. Kids’ Program Counselors are responsible for maintaining the health and condition of the horses and other livestock and for maintaining the safe, functional and clean condition of the barn facilities and outdoor recreation equipment/facilities. Kids’ Program Counselors will lead trail rides AND provide instruction for young riders of all riding abilities from age 3 – 11 years old. In ADDITION, Kids’ Counselors will also be guiding other ranch activities to include bike tours, challenge course & high ropes course, fishing, hiking, and other Kids’ Program activities. You’ll have the opportunity during your summer to operate ranch equipment, vet and care for the herd, lead rides, help out with general ranch work, maintain facilities and grounds, and take part in other guided activities at the ranch. This position is available from May to September. This position is being offered with housing (a dorm room with roommate and common area) and meals.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leading horseback rides in the Idaho Panhandle National Forest
- Care for and maintain the herd of horses (vetting, feeding, grooming)
- Teach basic horsemanship skills and aid our guests in developing their horseback riding skills
- Maintain the tack barn, corrals, trails, and other facilities
- Participate in evening guest/employee activities such as concerts, campfires, cookouts, and evening or morning rides
- Help to maintain trails, pastures, and fences
- Take part in other guided activities on the ranch including sporting clays, mountain biking, challenge course and high ropes course, fishing, hiking, power boat operation, archery, and kayaking
- Participate in other ranch chores
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Physically fit and capable of all Guide/Wrangler activities.
- Must be a US Citizen or possess a current and appropriate working visa.
- Excellent skills in Western riding and horsemanship, and riding in mountainous terrain. Past guide or horseback leading is preferred. Past experience in giving horseback instruction is also preferred.
- Ability to lift 75 pounds and work long hours.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Must wear proper western uniform during rides to include a cowboy hat, boots, western long sleeve shirt and be presentable in a good western image in dress and behavior.
- Must be a willing team player and show leadership qualities.
- Must be able to show strong safety for riders and horses.
- Must have a valid and updated First Aid / CPR card.
How To Apply:
Fill out the Online Employment Application :
contact: Cory Inouye, Red Horse Mountain Ranch
fax: (208) 689-9686
Salary plus room and board